Thursday, May 7, 2015

A Mother's Love Never Dies

My friend TJ had a unique encounter that I thought would make a wonderful Mother's Day post. Here is her story:

"I do not know how mother got to Bali.  But the discovery produced a smile on my face.  Mother finally got to travel. Just the week before I had carefully spread her ashes on my brother’s grave before heading to the airport.

I had been unable to discard the vessel that had contained her ashes and had held it on my lap for the long flight. I had been sure it was empty.  I do not know why I looked inside.

We had been spending a magical week in Bali.  Our guide was a devote Hindu. Karma, reincarnation and their varied beliefs were constant topics of conversation.  I asked him about a resting place for Mother. His positive response was heartfelt; he would arrange everything.

Two days later, we drove to the ocean with mother’s ashes.  Waiting for us were several holy men, dressed in white. My mother was about to have a beautiful Hindu funeral.  The men chanted, incense was burned, chimes were rung and offerings were made.  Although in a language I did not understand, when she finally was given to the sea, I felt at peace. 

Surprisingly, many people questioned the appropriateness Hindu ceremony.
 “Would she have approved?”
 “I do not know.”
 Soon the answer would change.

Mother and I were never close. When I was barely 4, my 7-year-old brother, died.  My mother retreated from life and me.  She was a fearful, timid woman who spoke wishfully of world travel.  Getting a passport scared her so much she abandoned hope of travel. In opposition, I grew up energetic, outgoing and a world traveler. 

I was joyful mother had found her way to Bali.

Upon my return home, I scheduled a facial.  I went to my usual lady, who knew nothing of my travels or personal life as I enjoy quiet meditation during facials. This was not to be. 

With eyes closed, I felt an energy rush when she touched my left arm.  Purple lights went off in my head.  My body was tingling.  Afterwards, I asked her what had happened, referencing only the purple light.  Avoiding eye contact, she told me, “Your mother contacted me when I touched your left arm and energy began to flow through you.  She told me to tell you she had a blast.  She felt very important and it was the nicest thing you have ever done for her.”

I was stunned and at a loss for words. I felt love flowing between mother and myself.

I am looking forward to Mother’s Day secure in the knowledge a mother’s love never dies."

19 comments:

pia said...

Wow. Just. Wow.
That's truly amazing

Haralee said...

Thanks Pia, It really is!

Darlene http://adventuresofamiddleagemom.com said...

I believe it. Yes, I do. And I think it's super cool.

Haralee said...

Thanks Darlene. I think it is cool too!

Lisa at Grandma's Briefs said...

Wow! That gave me goosebumps. What an incredible gift (and story). Thank you for sharing this.

Haralee said...

I know Lisa! It is really something. Solace and peace.

Haralee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

I felt chills of love and longing, joy and sorrow. But at the end? All love. What a wonderful story, Haralee. Thanks so much for sharing it! xo

Haralee said...

Thanks Cathy. It is Love from the beyond and a happy ending for both of them!

Rena said...

What an amazing story! I had to read it twice! I hope one day(a long, long time from now) I get a message like that!

Haralee said...

I know Rena, don't we all! I am so happy for both of them.

Connie McLeod said...

I love this story. I have felt a strong connection to my Mom since she passed away last month. But your story is a big WOW. Hugs and happy Mother's Day to you.

Haralee said...

Thanks Connie. Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

Hi Haralee! What a lovely thing you did for your mom and what a lovely thing she did for you. For those of us who've had their mother pass away it is a wonderful reminder that their love never dies. I did ask my mom where she wanted to her ashes to be spread after she was gone (thinking she would like something exotic or at least the ocean). Instead she asked to be spread in the sand hills of Nebraska where she was from. Unfortunately my older sister claimed them and they sit in her house along with Dad's. Maybe someday she will get her wish. Thanks though for the reminder of the love. And Happy Mothers Day! ~Kathy

Haralee said...

I hope too Kathy that your mother gets her ashes where she wants! Happy Mother's Day!

Lana said...

What a beautiful story. I'm a better person for having read it! Thanks so much for sharing.

Karen @Baking In A Tornado said...

I believe it. A mother's love has an undying energy of its own.

Haralee said...

Thanks Lana!! I told your comment to my friend and she was thrilled.

Haralee said...

I think you are right Karen!